So, I’ve shared this month’s theme that I am exploring. And, since this week’s word is “love”, I thought I’d take this opportunity to write one of my Friday Five lists. And yes, focussing on things that I love right now.
1. My Family – Yes, it’s a boring way to start this list. After all, I always love my family. Nothing new there. But, I am appreciating them a bit more right now for a number of reasons. Including the fact that they’re the ones that help to keep me together whenever I feel like falling apart. And, yes, there has been some rough moments lately.
2. Going back to art-making. Not only did I convert our laundry room in to an art studio/laundry room a few weeks ago, as well as started doing some more art, I also decided to go back to learning the basics of art-making.
And with that, I ended up signing up for a beginner’s art class again at a local boutique art school / studio. Only been to lesson so far but I am loving it. In fact, I am slowly getting into the habit of doing some kind of creative pursuit daily.
Yes, at the minimum, I try to work on my daily photo + daily hand lettering projects. I don’t feel like I’m getting far with my photography at this stage, but I am glad that my hand lettering seems to be developing. And, I am really loving it.
3. My work – And, not in an obsessive workaholic fashion (which I am prone to do)… More like: “I really appreciate my work right now where I feel like I am still developing and accomplishing things professionally, but at the same time, I get to enjoy life with family, art-making more.” Yes. That’s the kind of love I am feeling for my work at Vervely at the moment.
Work is not stress-free in any way, but it is not stressful either. And, the good thing about working for myself: I have the liberty of saying that I work for the best boss ever. After all, who else will let me skive off for most of Monday to go on a walk/picnic with my sister by the beach and then a mini shop + talking dreams and the future on a perfect sunny day – after a morning of art?
Since I put some things in to place and I know I can catch up on work later in the day, it was a moment that I can enjoy guilt-free. After aforementioned rough patches, I really needed that kind of day.
4. Work-from-a-Cafe Days – Studies seem to show that working from cafes or a cafe-like environment can help to boost productivity and well-being of workers. Since I primarily work from my home office, I have come to the conclusion that allocating at least one day a week to work in a cafe or cafe-like environment would be good for my system.
Ideally, coworking would have been a great solution. But, due to a few things that have come up from that exploration, I am now back to being primarily a work-from-home professional. Not that I’m complaining!
While I still miss some of the great things about being part of an office environment full time, I have come to love doing this solopreneur life again. I like the fact that I can work in bed if I want to. And adjust the cooling or heating system to my liking. Or to have the TV on in the background if I want.
And yes, to go out and spend a good part of my day working from cafes. That’s why I’m out to come up with a list of good cafes to work from in Adelaide. So far, I only have one on the list. But, I have only started exploring, so I’ll try to report back as soon as I find a few more.
5. Journaling – Really, I do. I think I have never journaled so much in a long time. I think it goes with the rough patches and the ‘slowing down’ moments. But yes, I am currently journaling in a number of places, on top of my daily blog. I have paper journals, sketchbooks (where I even do dream journal entries), digital journals, and art journals. And, I love it. I’ve missed doing this… Missed having time to do other things, not just work.
Oh, and yes, that digital journal page prompt? I’m making it available as a free download for subscribers of my e-newsletter, “Notes from Shai“. Yes, it’s currently experiencing publication delay due to unexpected circumstances. But, I am determined to publish the first issue before the end of this month.
How about you? What are you loving right now?